Carrot Bread With Hazelnuts, Coconut and Cream Cheese Glaze
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 15 min
- 20 min
- 55 min
- one 9-by-5-inch loaf or three 6-by-3-inch mini loaves
- For the Bread:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled (or 1/2 cup vegetable oil), plus more for the pan
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the carrot bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter one 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or three 6-by-3-inch mini loaf pans.
Whisk the eggs, melted butter, yogurt, vanilla and lemon zest (if using) in a medium bowl. Stir in the shredded carrots. Fold the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes for a standard loaf or 35 to 40 minutes for mini loaves. Cool 30 minutes in the pan(s) on a rack, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, milk and vanilla in a bowl. Pour over the cooled carrot bread and let set, 15 to 20 minutes.
Photograph by Charles Masters
Thank you! your flag was submitted.