Cheesy Mushroom Pappardelle
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces deli ham or pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 8 .8-ounce package pappardelle pasta
- 1/2 cup grated havarti cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham, onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until incorporated, 1 minute.
Gradually add the milk to the skillet, stirring until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes; remove from the heat.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and add to the skillet with the sauce.
Add the havarti, parsley and 3 tablespoons parmesan to the skillet and toss using tongs. If the sauce seems thick, gradually add the reserved cooking water to loosen. Sprinkle with the remaining 3 tablespoons parmesan. Broil until bubbly, about 4 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 573; Fat 22 g (Saturated 13 g); Cholesterol 72 mg; Sodium 873 mg; Carbohydrate 65 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 28 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.