- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
- 1 8 -ounce package rice noodles
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 red chile pepper (such as Fresno), seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus more for topping
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for topping
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large bowl. Add the rice noodles to the water and return to a boil. Remove from the heat and let soak while you prepare the chicken, stirring occasionally.
Combine the sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook, undisturbed, until the mixture is dark amber, about 3 minutes. Carefully stir in the vegetable oil and garlic and cook until the garlic is golden, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and fish sauce and cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chile pepper, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee