- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions (whites roughly chopped, greens thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (red or green), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small head Napa cabbage, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts
Cook the rice as the label directs. Meanwhile, whisk 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and rice vinegar in a bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. Whisk the brown sugar, 1/3 cup water and the remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1 teaspoon each soy sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
Wipe out the skillet, return to high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil. When it begins smoking, add the ginger, scallion whites and jalapeno; stir-fry 45 seconds. Add the cabbage and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir the brown sugar mixture and add to the pan along with the chicken; stir-fry until the sauce is thick and the chicken is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens and peanuts. Serve with the rice.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
50/50 Olive Oil/Coconut Oil Blend Healthy Chicken Stir Fry, Quick Veggie Stir-Fry, Spicy Pork Stir-Fry with Coconut Scallion Rice, Heart Healthy Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes