Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 14 -ounce package shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 ounces 93 percent lean ground beef
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and microwave, turning halfway through, until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the coleslaw mix, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato paste, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 1 minute. Add the beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
One at a time, hold the sweet potatoes in a kitchen towel, cut open and scoop out a few spoonfuls of flesh; add to the skillet with the beef mixture along with the cheese and scallions. Season with salt. Return the skillet to medium heat and stir until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Spoon into the sweet potatoes and top with the slaw.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
More Recipes and Ideas:
Double Cut Pork Chops with Tamarind Glaze, Green Mole Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Potatoes, Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie, Outta Sight Sweet Potato Turnovers, Heart Healthy Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Teriyaki Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Turkey Breast Recipes, Easy Main Dish
Thank you! your flag was submitted.