Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 14 -ounce package shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 ounces 93 percent lean ground beef
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and microwave, turning halfway through, until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the coleslaw mix, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato paste, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 1 minute. Add the beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
One at a time, hold the sweet potatoes in a kitchen towel, cut open and scoop out a few spoonfuls of flesh; add to the skillet with the beef mixture along with the cheese and scallions. Season with salt. Return the skillet to medium heat and stir until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Spoon into the sweet potatoes and top with the slaw.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine