Crab Dumplings - Slimmed
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
Serve these stylish crab dumplings instead of crab cakes at your next party. A serving of three dumplings has only 1/4 of the calories of[ three mini crab cakes!]
- Carrot Salad:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, like soy or corn
- 1/4 to 1/2 jalapeno chile (with seeds), minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Southeast Asian fish sauce
- 1 scallion (white and green), chopped
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over to remove bits of shell and cartilage
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 wonton wrappers (3 1/2-inch square), thawed if frozen
- 2 romaine leaves
- Special equipment: 3 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, bamboo steamer
To make the salad: In a small non-stick skillet, stir together the oil, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir-fry over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sugar. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, and cool slightly. Toss the carrot, coriander, lime juice, fish sauce, and scallion together with the jalapeno mixture. Set aside.
To make the dumplings: In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat, water chestnuts, egg white, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, coriander, and salt.
Lay 6 to 8 wontons out on a work surface. Trim into rounds with the biscuit cutter. Lightly brush the surface of each wrapper with vinegar. Place a level tablespoon of the crab filling in the center of each wrapper. Gather the wrapper around the filling, in a loosely-pleated open dumpling. The dumpling should be flat on the bottom with about a 1/2-inch of the wrapper unfilled at the top in order to hold the salad after steaming. Repeat until the filling is used up.
Arrange the dumplings about 1/4-inch apart in 2 lettuce leaf-lined bamboo steamers. Fill a wok or pan with enough water to come up to the bottom of the steamer rack, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Stack the steamers in the pan, cover, and steam the dumplings until the filling is set, about 10 minutes.
Remove the steamer from the pan. Top each dumpling with 1/2 heaping teaspoon of the carrot salad. Serve immediately in the steamer pan.Tips:
-- Use this vegetable salad with other seafood and meat hors d'oeuvres instead of mayonnaise or cream based sauces
-- Thai cuisine is often low in fat, just avoid dishes made with coconut milk
Copyright 2002 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
More Recipes and Ideas:
Coconut Crusted Crab Cakes, Avocado and Blue Crab Cakes with a Mango, Papaya and Macadamia Nut Salad Tossed with Spicy Cilantro Dressing, Classic Crab Cakes with a Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad and Fresh Horseradish Sauce, Crab Cake Recipes, Crab Dip Recipes, Crab Salad Recipes, Crab