Creamy Black Beans
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- Kosher salt
- Queso fresco and fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
Soak the beans in a pot of water overnight. Drain.
Heat the olive oil in the pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano and the beans, then add enough water to cover (about 9 cups). Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are just tender, about 3 hours.
Add 2 teaspoons salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 45 minutes. Season with salt. Let sit 15 minutes before serving; top with queso fresco and cilantro, if desired.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.