Cremini Mushroom, Bacon, and Shallot Crustless Quiche
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 10 min
- 20 min
- 1 hr
- 50 min
- 1 (9-inch) quiche, 6 to 8 servings
- 8 thin slices bacon, about 6 ounces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms or a combination of cultivated and wild mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 6 medium shallots, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Generous pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese, about 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the bacon in a medium skillet, over medium-high heat until just crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the pan. Add 2 tablespoons butter, the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until the mushroom juices evaporate, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the shallots and cook until tender and mushrooms are golden, about 3 minutes more. Add the garlic and parsley. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
Brush a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan with the remaining butter and sprinkle evenly with the grated Parmesan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Scatter half the Gruyere into the pan and crumble the bacon on top. Add 3/4 of the mushrooms, then the remaining cheese.
Whisk the half-and-half, eggs and yolks in large glass measuring cup. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. Pour the custard over the fillings. Top with remaining mushroom mixture and sprinkle with chives.
Bake until the quiche is just set in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Blueberry Brunch Pancakes(00:03:07)
How to Make a Frittata(00:03:29)
Thank you! your flag was submitted.