- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 pound thick-sliced ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 3 -inch strips orange zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 napa cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
- 24 frozen chicken or vegetable dumplings or pot stickers
- Soy sauce, for drizzling (optional)
Combine 2 cups water, the broth, ham, sherry, sugar, ginger, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the scallion whites, mushrooms and carrots. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Add the cabbage, dumplings and scallion greens. Cover and cook until the dumplings are soft and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Divide the dumplings and soup among bowls. Drizzle with soy sauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 256; Fat 9 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 1,011 mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 18 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.