Gnocchi with Bacon and Escarole
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 small head escarole, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 17 .5-ounce package potato gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and continue cooking until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the escarole, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until the escarole is completely wilted, about 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the gnocchi and add to the pot with the escarole mixture. Add the reserved cooking water and stir to coat, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, parmesan and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse