Green Apple-Sourdough Pancakes
- For the Sourdough Starter:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (1/2 packet)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the Pancakes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small tart green apple (such as
- Granny Smith), unpeeled, diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Maple syrup or honey, for serving
- Chopped pecans, for garnish (optional)
Make the sourdough starter: Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low heat to about 110 degrees F. Transfer to a medium bowl, sprinkle with the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cider, brown sugar, butter and 1 cup flour until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight.
The next morning, make the pancakes: Whisk 1/2 cup flour, the egg, baking soda and apple into the sourdough starter. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a cast-iron griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until the tops are bubbly and the edges set, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden and cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter as needed. Drizzle with syrup and garnish with pecans, if desired.
Photograph by Kana Okada
More Recipes and Ideas:
Orange Pumpkin Pancakes with Vanilla Whipped Cream, Cinnamon Maple Syrup and Thick-Cut Bacon, Buttermilk Pancakes With Vanilla Bean-Berry Syrup, PB and J Pancakes, Heart Healthy Recipes, Appetizer Recipes , Apple Crisp Recipes, Easy Shrimp, Easy Casserole, Easy Appetizer Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.