Grilled Steak Salad
- 10 stalks celery (about 1 bunch), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon green hot sauce
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 bunch watercress, torn (3 to 4 cups)
- 1 1/4 pounds blade steak, about 3/4 inch thick (4 to 6 steaks)
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the celery, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
Heat a large grill pan or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Rub the steak with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add the steak and cook, undisturbed, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board. Add the scallions to the pan and cook until charred, about 2 minutes per side.
Slice the steak against the grain, discarding the tough membrane that runs through the center. Add the steak and tomatoes to the bowl with the salad and toss to coat. Divide among plates.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine