- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups converted (parboiled) rice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced or shredded ham (reserved from Slow-Cooked Ham and Beans)
- 3 cups stewed beans (reserved from Slow-Cooked Ham and Beans)
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the rice, ham, beans and 2 cups water and stir to combine.
Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. (Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer; this will prevent the rice from sticking.) Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Season with salt. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 724; Fat 18 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 101 mg; Sodium 363 mg; Carbohydrate 94 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 46 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.