Herbed Egg White Omelet with Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 large egg whites or 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 cups mixed baby greens or mesclun
Position a rack on the shelf closest to the broiler, and preheat the broiler to high heat.
Toss the tomatoes with the vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Warm a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until foamy and doubled in volume; season with salt and pepper and whisk in the parsley. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil to the skillet. Pour the whites into the skillet and swirl to cover entire skillet. Cook, without stirring, until the whites are almost set and light brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
Transfer the skillet under the broiler and cook until the omelet sets and begins to brown, about 30 seconds. Spoon half of the tomato salad onto half of the omelet and fold the omelet over the filling. Transfer omelet to a serving platter and scatter the remaining tomato salad on top. Serve with the baby greens on the side.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchens