Indian Chicken Wrap
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 serrano chile pepper, halved, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 pieces naan bread or pocketless pita, warmed
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Combine the ginger, chile, onion, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor and pulse to make a thick paste. (Or finely chop and mash with the flat side of a knife.) Mix the yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger-chile paste and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is slightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, carrots, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and the chicken is heated through, about 2 more minutes. Season with salt.
Spoon one-quarter of the chicken filling down the middle of each piece of bread. Drizzle with some of the yogurt sauce and roll up. Serve with chips.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos