Indian Chicken Wrap
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 serrano chile pepper, halved, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 pieces naan bread or pocketless pita, warmed
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Combine the ginger, chile, onion, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor and pulse to make a thick paste. (Or finely chop and mash with the flat side of a knife.) Mix the yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger-chile paste and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is slightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, carrots, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup water and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and the chicken is heated through, about 2 more minutes. Season with salt.
Spoon one-quarter of the chicken filling down the middle of each piece of bread. Drizzle with some of the yogurt sauce and roll up. Serve with chips.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller