- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 chicken and/or turkey andouille sausages (about 12 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 14 -ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Cornbread, for serving
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add the olive oil. Add the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
Add the scallion whites, celery and bell pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and Cajun seasoning; cook 1 minute.
Add 1 1/2 cups water, the chicken broth, rice, tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Return the sausages to the pot and season with salt. Discard the bay leaf. Top the soup with the scallion greens and serve with cornbread.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello