Kale-Turkey Rice Bowl
- 1 bunch cilantro, tough stems removed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved (remove seeds for less heat)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 5 -ounce package chopped kale (about 6 cups packed)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
Puree all but 3 tablespoons cilantro with 1/2 cup water, the jalapeno, almonds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the pureed cilantro mixture, the potatoes and kale. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and serve over the rice. Top with the reserved cilantro.
Per serving: Calories 440; Fat 14 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 248 mg; Carbohydrate 51 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 30 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.