Lemon Chicken Soup and Salad
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 scallions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 bunch baby carrots (about 4 ounces), cut into chunks
- 1 bunch baby turnips (about 4 ounces), quartered lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 8 cups salad greens
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, 3 cups water, the rice, carrots, turnips and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the rice and vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Whisk the eggs and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in a medium bowl. Slowly ladle about 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add the shredded chicken to the pot, then whisk in the egg-broth mixture. Return the soup to a gentle simmer, then remove from the heat. Stir in the scallion greens and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Put the salad greens in a large bowl and toss with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the soup.
Per serving: Calories 552; Fat 29 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 246 mg; Sodium 871 mg; Carbohydrate 35 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 40 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.