Pappardelle in Saffron Cream
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 small shallot, minced
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dried pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and saffron and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; increase the heat to medium high and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as the label directs. Remove 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and transfer to the skillet with the sauce. Add the reserved cooking water, the parmesan and half of the chives and toss to coat. Serve topped with the lemon zest, remaining chives and more cheese.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Thank you! your flag was submitted.