- 2 to 3 very ripe persimmons (or 1 cup smooth applesauce plus 1/4 cup carrot baby food)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg white
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- Turbinado sugar, for topping
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan or two 24-cup mini-muffin pans with paper liners. Cut the persimmons in half and scoop out the pulp into a food processor; pulse until smooth.
Combine the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and lemon zest in a large bowl. Whisk 1 1/4 cups of the persimmon puree (or the applesauce and carrot baby food), the eggs, egg white, melted butter and yogurt in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (it's fine if the batter is lumpy).
Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each three-quarters of the way. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes for regular muffins or 14 to 18 minutes for mini muffins. Cool slightly in the pan, then transfer the muffins to a rack.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine