- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 large pimiento-stuffed olives, finely chopped
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 11 -ounce tube refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 large egg
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic and cinnamon and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add the beef, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chopped tomato, raisins and olives and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let the mixture cool completely.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and brush a baking sheet lightly with vegetable oil. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and fill the dinner pockets. Step-by-step directions.
Place the pockets seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Beat the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush the pockets with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine