Pork and Fennel Ragout
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 1 -inch-thick boneless pork loin chops (1 pound total), trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red or white wine
Grind the fennel seeds with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a spice grinder or chop with a knife. Transfer to a medium bowl; mix with the lemon juice and pork. Add the flour and toss to coat. In another bowl, mix the lemon zest with 2 tablespoons parsley.
Heat a deep skillet or pot over high heat and add the olive oil. Brown the pork in batches, 1 minute per side; transfer to a plate. Add the shallots, fennel bulb, the remaining 3 tablespoons parsley, and salt to taste to the skillet. Reduce the heat and cook until the vegetables are wilted, 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, wine and 1/2 cup water; scrape up any browned bits. Cover and simmer over low heat until the fennel is tender, 12 minutes. Add the pork and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and top with the lemon zest-parsley mixture.
Per serving: Calories 435; Fat 18 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 62 mg; Sodium 882 mg; Carbohydrate 24 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 30 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
More Recipes and Ideas:
Pork Three Ways: Brined Pork Chops, Fennel-Fontina Sausage, and Swiss Chard with Bacon and Fennel over Polenta Cakes, Fennel-Garlic Smoked Pork with Fennel Gremolata and Grape Mostarda, Sausage Deconstructed: Pork and Fennel One-Pot, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Easy Shrimp, Easy Casserole, Easy Appetizer Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.