- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 12 -ounce bottle Mexican lager
- Kosher salt
- 2 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 15 -ounce can pure pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
Combine the pork, beer, 3 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, skimming the foam off the surface. Add the chipotles and 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, cover and cook about 30 minutes.
Mix 3 tablespoons pumpkin, the sour cream and salt to taste in a bowl; cover and chill.
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, poblano, onions and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until soft, 15 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, the chili powder and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add the remaining pumpkin and cook 5 minutes.
Add the tomato mixture to the pork and simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the greens and cook 10 more minutes. Season with salt. Ladle the chili into bowls; top with the pumpkin cream and more chili powder. Serve with lime wedges.
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul
Thank you! your flag was submitted.