Pork Lettuce Wraps with Grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 medium pink grapefruit
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon hot Asian chili sauce ( sambal oelek or sriracha)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Romaine or Bibb lettuce leaves, for wrapping
Mix the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Lightly toast the coconut in a skillet over medium heat; cool. With a sharp knife, peel and segment the grapefruit, removing the white pith. Toss the segments in a bowl with the coconut, peanuts, mint, chili sauce and scallions.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, breaking it up, 4 to 5 minutes (do not brown). Transfer the meat to a bowl and drain any excess liquid; set aside. Raise the heat to high, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet, then the ginger and red onion; cook to soften, about 1 minute. Add the onion to the meat, pour in the fish-sauce mixture and gently toss.
Divide the pork mixture among lettuce leaves and top each with some of the grapefruit salad.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.