Roast Beef and Endive Salad
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 pound thick-cut deli roast beef, fat trimmed
- 1/4 pound gruyere cheese
- 5 heads endive
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cornichons or dill pickles
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Soak the shallots in a bowl of cold water, 10 minutes. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden, about 7 minutes; let cool.
Meanwhile, stack the roast beef slices and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut the cheese into 1 1/2-by- 1/4-inch sticks. Slice each head of endive lengthwise into 6 spears. Transfer the beef, cheese and endive to a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Drain the shallots, then transfer to a small bowl along with the parsley, tarragon, mustard, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until blended. Stir in the cornichons. Add the dressing to the bowl with the roast beef and toss. Divide among plates and top with the walnuts.
Per serving: Calories 623; Fat 52 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 84 mg; Sodium 1,002 mg; Carbohydrate 10 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 32 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.