Sausage and Broccolini Pizza
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 14 .5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 hot or sweet Italian sausages (about 12 ounces), casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccolini, cut into florets
Put an inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat to 475 degrees F. Line another inverted baking sheet with parchment; drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Form the pizza dough into an 8-inch oval on the parchment; flip to coat with the oil. Drape with plastic wrap; set aside.
Combine the tomatoes and basil in a bowl. Mix the ricotta, mozzarella and mint in another bowl; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and garlic; cook, breaking up the meat, 5 minutes. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon. Add the broccolini and 1/2 cup water to the drippings in the skillet and cook 5 minutes.
Stretch the dough to 11 by 14 inches on the parchment; spoon the ricotta mixture on top. Top with the tomatoes, sausage and broccolini. Slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto the hotbaking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden, 15 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a cutting board to slice.
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe coutesy of Food Network Magazine