Scallops With Watercress Salad
- 2 strips bacon
- 2 bunches watercress, thick stems trimmed
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, cut into spears
- 1 bunch radishes, quartered
- 1/3 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 pounds large sea scallops (about 16)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 4 thick slices rustic bread, toasted
Cook the bacon in a medium nonstick skillet until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; reserve the skillet.
Divide the watercress, cucumbers and radishes among plates.
Season the flour with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. Working in batches, toss the scallops in the flour and cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until golden on the other side, about 2 more minutes (add 1 tablespoon oil, if necessary).
Arrange the scallops over the salads. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the lemon juice to the skillet, then remove from the heat and add 1 to 2 tablespoons water, swirling the pan to release the browned bits. Crumble the bacon and add to the skillet along with the chives, and salt and pepper to taste; swirl to combine, then pour over the salads. Serve with the bread.
Per serving: Calories 588; Fat 22 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 56 mg; Sodium 731 mg; Carbohydrate 57 g; Fiber 6 g; Protein 38 g
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.