Shaved Squash and Tomato Pasta
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces mezzi rigatoni or other short pasta
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small yellow squash
- 2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 bunch basil, leaves chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated grana padano or parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella (regular or smoked), roughly chopped
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and garlic and cook as the pasta label directs; reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain.
Mash the cooked garlic with the flat side of a chef's knife; add it to the bowl along with the pasta, grana padano and mozzarella. Toss until combined, adding the reserved pasta water as needed to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls; drizzle with olive oil and top with more grana padano.
Per serving: Calories 698; Fat 33 g (Saturated 10 g); Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 766 mg; Carbohydrate 77 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 25 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine