Slow-Cooker Chicken and Pasta Soup
- 4 carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 long strips lemon zest
- 4 sprigs fresh dill, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup small pasta, such as pastina
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach, stemmed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- Lemon wedges and crusty bread, for serving (optional)
Combine the carrots, lemon zest, dill sprigs, olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Season the chicken with salt and add to the cooker. Add the broth and 4 cups water, cover and cook on low, about 8 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, add the pasta to the slow cooker, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir the chopped dill, peas and spinach into the soup and cover until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir to break up the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and crumble the feta on top. Serve with lemon and bread, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 609; Fat 15 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 109 mg; Sodium 967 mg; Carbohydrate 60 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 61 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.