Slow Cooker Mushroom Barley Risotto
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
This entree is vegetarian, but the mushrooms make it hearty enough for non-vegetarians too. The flavors are perfect for the colder weather[ of fall.]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 ounces carrots, finely chopped
- 3 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ounce Parmesan, grated (2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the barley and thyme and cook, stirring, until the barley is just golden, about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker and add the carrots, broth, 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on high until the liquid is absorbed and the carrots and barley are tender, about 3 hours.
Discard the thyme and stir in the Parmesan, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Thin out the risotto with warm water for desired consistency as needed. Top with parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.