Smoked Trout and Potato Salad
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup creme fraeche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 small English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- 12 ounces smoked trout, skin removed
- Pumpernickel bread and/or pickled beets, for serving (optional)
Soak the onion slices in a bowl of ice water. Cover the potatoes with water in a pot; add a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly; pat dry.
Meanwhile, whisk the creme fraeche, vinegar, olive oil and mustard in a large bowl to make a smooth dressing. Stir in the dill. Drain the onion, pat dry and add to the dressing. Add the potatoes and cucumber, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Divide the watercress among 4 plates and add some potato salad to each. Flake the trout with your fingers and scatter on top. Serve with pumpernickel bread and/or pickled beets, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 344; Fat 15 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 67 mg;
Sodium 296 mg; Carbohydrate 22 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.