Spiced Burgers With Cucumber Yogurt
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red or yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Sweet potato chips, for serving (optional)
- Pickled okra or other pickled vegetables, for serving (optional)
Mix the cucumber, yogurt, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside while you make the burgers.
Combine the beef, onion, garlic, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and mix with your hands until just combined. Form into four 4-inch-wide patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burger patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes for medium.
Place the burgers on the buns. Stir the cucumber-yogurt mixture and spoon on top. Serve the burgers with sweet potato chips and pickled okra.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Vic "Vegas" Moea