Spiced Burgers With Cucumber Yogurt
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds 90 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red or yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Sweet potato chips, for serving (optional)
- Pickled okra or other pickled vegetables, for serving (optional)
Mix the cucumber, yogurt, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside while you make the burgers.
Combine the beef, onion, garlic, curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl and mix with your hands until just combined. Form into four 4-inch-wide patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burger patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes for medium.
Place the burgers on the buns. Stir the cucumber-yogurt mixture and spoon on top. Serve the burgers with sweet potato chips and pickled okra.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.