Spicy Chorizo Pockets
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 links fresh chorizo (about 6 ounces), casings removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels, or frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3/4 cup grated monterey jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 11 -ounce tube refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 large egg
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cumin and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the corn and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until the corn is tender, about 2 minutes; let cool completely. Stir in the cheese and scallions. Squeeze the mixture together with your hands to make it compact.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and brush a baking sheet lightly with vegetable oil. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and fill the dinner pockets. Step-by-step directions.
Place the pockets seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Beat the egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush the pockets with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Thank you! your flag was submitted.