- 1 1/4 pounds boneless sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), excess fat trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 jarred pepperoncini, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Focaccia, for serving (optional)
Sprinkle the steak all over with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and sear until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the garlic to the skillet. Once it sizzles, add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the pepperoncini, tomatoes, oregano, red pepper flakes and 3/4 cup water and stir to combine. Bring to a rapid simmer, then nestle the steak in the sauce and simmer, turning once, until medium rare, about 7 minutes. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes. Continue simmering the sauce until thickened, about 3 more minutes.
Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divide among plates. Top with the sauce and parsley. Serve with focaccia.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
More Recipes and Ideas:
Steak Pizzaiola with Onions, Red and Green Peppers and Olive Oil, Grilled Steak with Green Beans, Tomatoes and Chimichurri Sauce, Rib Eye Steaks with Mushroom Sauce, Heart Healthy Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Easy Shrimp, Easy Casserole
Thank you! your flag was submitted.