Stewed Chicken and Chickpeas
- 1 14 -ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala or ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- Large pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 4 6 -ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup low-fat (2 percent) Greek yogurt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping (optional)
- 3 whole-wheat pitas, quartered
Combine the tomato sauce, 1 cup water, the chickpeas, bell pepper, apricots, garlic, garam masala, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Nestle the chicken in the tomato-chickpea mixture; reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, turning the chicken once, until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Divide the chicken and tomato-chickpea mixture among plates, top with the yogurt and sprinkle with parsley and garam masala to taste. Serve with the pita wedges.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.