Swiss Mushroom Burgers
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef (preferably chuck)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 8 -ounce package sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 thin slices gruyere cheese
- 4 sesame buns, split and toasted
- Boston or Bibb lettuce, for topping
- Potato chips and/or pickles, for serving (optional)
Preheat the broiler and line the bottom of a broiler pan with foil. Lightly mix the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Gently form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Arrange on the prepared pan and brush both sides with olive oil. Broil until browned, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook 2 more minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 2 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Combine the ketchup and mustard in a small bowl and set aside.
Top each patty with one-quarter of the mushroom mixture and 1 slice cheese. Return to the broiler to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
Spread the buns with the ketchup mixture; sandwich with the patties and some lettuce. Serve with chips and/or pickles.
Per serving: Calories 544; Fat 31 g (Saturated 13 g); Cholesterol 110 mg; Sodium 1,143 mg; Carbohydrate 30 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 38 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.