Thai Noodle-Steak Salad
- 1/2 8 -ounce package rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/4 cup lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (Asian chile sauce)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Season the steak with salt and pepper. Brush the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the steak until marked, about 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
Add all but a few tablespoons cilantro to the noodle salad and toss. Top with the steak and the remaining cilantro.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos