Turkey Sausage and Peppers
- 1 1/4 pounds lean Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 assorted bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 15 -ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 12 basil leaves, chopped, plus more for topping
Preheat the broiler. Pierce the sausages all over with a fork, arrange on a baking sheet and broil, turning halfway through, until golden brown, about 8 minutes (they will not be fully cooked). Transfer to a cutting board and cut in half on the diagonal.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, fennel and onion and cook, stirring, until they soften slightly, 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
Stir in 1/2 cup water, the tomatoes and basil. Reduce the heat to medium; cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Uncover; add the sausages and cook through, 3 to 4 minutes. (Add a splash of water if the sauce gets too thick.) Top with more basil.
Per serving: Calories 388; Fat 23 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 84 mg; Sodium 1,224 mg; Carbohydrate 21 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 27 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine