Vegan Tofu and Spinach Scramble
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchen
This low-calorie breakfast scramble is high in fiber and protein. The lemon juice adds a little brightness. Serve with whole-wheat toast[ to round out the meal.]
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, chopped (about 5 packed cups)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
Combine the tofu, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne if using in a medium bowl. Toss well to combine and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is lightly browned and resembles scrambled eggs, about 5 minutes.
Add the spinach, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and scallion greens and stir until the tomatoes are just heated through and begin to soften, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the basil and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.