- Total Time:
- 8 hr 50 min
- 20 min
- 8 hr
- 30 min
- 6 servings, 2 waffles per serving
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Cooking spray for waffle iron
- Maple syrup, for serving
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a large mixing bowl; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the buttermilk, oil, sugar and flour and whisk until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat a waffle iron. Whisk the oats, egg whites, baking soda, and salt into the waffle batter until smooth. Lightly mist the hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Add about 1/3 cup of batter to each section, using the back of a spoon to spread batter to the edges. Cook until the waffles are crisp and golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
These waffles are light but also crispy on the outside from just a touch of oil and a yeasted batter with buttermilk. Oats and whole wheat pastry flour make a heartier waffle that is delicious with fruit, yogurt or syrup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.