Wormy Weenie Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
Kids will love the "yuck" factor of eating worms, but everyone will appreciate that these dressed-down versions of sausage and peppers are[ also quite yummy.]
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- One 14-ounce package foot-long hotdogs (8 hotdogs), each cut into 6 strips lengthwise
- 3 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 large red onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 hoagie rolls, split
- 12 slices provolone (about 6 ounces)
Cook the bacon in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
Cook the hot dogs in the same skillet in 2 batches over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until curled and golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Preheat the oven broiler.
Cook the peppers and onions in the same skillet, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the barbecue sauce, chicken broth, brown sugar, mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 1 minute. Add the hot dogs and continue to cook, stirring, until coated, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.