- 8 ounces (225 grams) freshly cooked potatoes
- 8 ounces (225 grams) peeled raw potatoes
- 8 ounces (225 grams/ generous 1 1/2 cups) white flour
- 1/4 American teaspoon baking powder (1/2 Irish teaspoon bread soda), sifted *see note
- 8 to 12 fluid ounces (225 to 300 millileters/1 to 1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
- Pinch salt (optional)
- Butter, for frying
- *Note: an Irish tablespoon is the same quantity as an American tablespoon plus a teaspoon
Peel the cooked potatoes while they are still hot, drop into a bowl and mash immediately. Grate the raw potatoes, add to the mashed potatoes with the flour and sifted bread soda. Mix well, and add enough buttermilk to make a stiff batter.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.