Gingered Coleslaw with Golden Raisins
- 1 small head savoy cabbage, cored
- 1 large carrot
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger (from one 1-inch piece)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic (from 1 small clove)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Shred the cabbage and julienne the carrot (cut into thin slivers). Combine in a bowl with the mayonnaise, ginger and garlic and mix well.
Heat the butter in a medium skillet over a medium flame. Add the raisins and cook until soft and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Mix the warm raisins into the slaw and add the vinegar and salt, sugar and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Geoffrey Zakarian