- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced peeled apples (about 2 apples)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Ice cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, heat the orange liqueur. Turn off the heat and add the cranberries, making sure all the cranberries are submerged in the liquid. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and the orange zest. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add the apples, walnuts, and drained cranberries. Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 by 2-inch glass baking dish or 8-inch cake pan. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
To serve, while still warm cut into squares or wedges and serve with ice cream.