Baked Orzo with Fontina and Peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease the baking dish
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces shredded fontina cheese (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces diced fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute until the mushrooms are beginning to turn golden around the edges, about 7 minutes. Add the Marsala. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and cook until the Marsala has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the orzo in the large bowl. Add the cream, fontina, mozzarella, peas, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and dried thyme. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top of the pasta. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes.