Chocolate Orange Cupcakes with Limoncello Frosting
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- Orange juice (instead of water in cake mix)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup diced candied orange peel (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons limoncello (you can substitute with 2 tablespoons lemon juice for minors)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/4 cup finely diced candied orange peel, for garnish
- Special equipment: cupcake liners, 2 muffin pans
To make the cupcakes: mix the chocolate cake mix according to package instructions, substituting orange juice for the water. Toss the chocolate chips with the flour. Fold the chocolate chips and the candied orange peel into the chocolate mixture. Line the muffin pan with the cupcake liners. Fill and bake the cupcakes according to package instructions. Let the cupcakes cool for 1 hour on a wire rack before frosting.
To make the frosting: combine all the ingredients except the candied orange peel in a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Using a small spatula, place about 1 tablespoon of frosting on top of each cupcake. Top with a small sprinkle of candied orange peel.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis