- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-pound) box Israeli couscous (or any small pasta)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
In a medium saucepan, warm 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the couscous and cook until toasted and lightly browned, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Carefully add the stock, and the juice of 1 lemon, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the couscous is tender, but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the couscous.
Once the couscous is room temperature, add the fresh herbs, dried cranberries, and almonds. Toss to combine and serve.