Pizzettes with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ball purchased pizza dough (about 12 to 16 ounces)
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 to 3 ounces prosciutto (about 5 large slices), cut into 2 by 2-inch pieces
- Parsley or rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and sugar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and dark golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Roll out the pizza dough into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Using the cookie cutter, cut out 24 dough circles. Arrange the circles on a large heavy baking sheet. Place a small spoonful of the caramelized onions on each dough circle. Top with a small amount of goat cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
SERVINGS: 24 (PER PIZZETTE); Calories: 91; Total Fat 4 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 3 grams; Total carbohydrates: 11 grams; Sugar: 2 grams Fiber: 0.5 grams; Cholesterol: 6 milligrams; Sodium: 334 milligrams
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis