Spaghetti al Melone
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1 (2 pound) cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces to yield about 4 cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced into 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a serving bowl. Add the Parmesan and toss well.
Place the melon in a food processor and blend until chunky. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and butter over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Add the melon, whiskey, and lemon juice. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis