Spaghetti al Melone
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1 (2 pound) cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces to yield about 4 cups
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced into 1/2-inch pieces, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a serving bowl. Add the Parmesan and toss well.
Place the melon in a food processor and blend until chunky. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and butter over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Add the melon, whiskey, and lemon juice. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali