Strawberry Shortcake Soup
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 small lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sweet dessert wine or apple juice
- Butter, for greasing the baking sheet
- 3 slices pound cake, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup mascarpone, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered sugar
In a medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla and the salt. Cover and let macerate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or ideally overnight.
Place the strawberry mixture in a blender. Add the wine or apple juice and blend until completely smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
For the croutons, spread the cubed pound cake on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy, flipping the cubes halfway through, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, add the heavy cream, mascarpone, powdered sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Using an electric mixer, whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. Be careful not to over-beat.
To assemble, divide the soup into 4 teacups or small bowls. Place a dollop of cream on each one and scatter the croutons around the top. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis